Balvarran, which means ‘place of the baron’ may have originally been known as Pitvirren, which possesses an almost identical meaning, yet until the late 19th Century the estate as a whole was generally better known by its landholding; Invercrosky (sometimes Easter Invercrosky) and Whitefield.
In 1554 the Earl of Atholl granted a charter of the lands of Invercrosky and Whitefield to Baron Ruadh, a man who “loved to live high” and was “brave at suppressing robbers”. Little is known of the original house as it was burned to the ground in the 17th Century by the Marquis of Montrose, who clearly opposed the Laird’s viewpoint! The earliest part of the present building was built in 1641, a date that is clearly marked above what was the original front door.
The Ruadhs (Reids) lived at Balvarran for more than 150 years until such time as the family had no further heirs. The property was held in trust and in 1792 the Duke of Atholl granted the property to James Stormonth, since which time the property has remained in the same family.
September 6th 2014